In today's world, laptops, smartphones and players are very popular. Almost everyone has these devices. Various accessories are intended for their comfortable operation. One of them is headphones. We use them at work, at home, in public transport or on the street. What are the types of this accessory? What are their features, advantages and disadvantages?
Definition of what are headphones
Headphones are a device with which you can listen to any sound signals transmitted by an electronic device. The principle of their work is that when a signal is supplied to the voice coil, an electromagnetic field is formed, which, when interacting with the field of the magnetic system, transmits sound through the speaker.
Scope, pros and cons of headphones
This accessory has found its application:
- when watching a video;
- while playing on a computer;
- when listening to music, etc.
Headphones have both advantages and disadvantages. The pros include:
- high sound quality;
- isolation from external sound signals;
- accessibility - to purchase headphones is much cheaper than the speaker system;
- comfort for others - while using this accessory, noise is not created for outsiders.
The disadvantages include the fact that listening to music at high volume too often can lead to negative consequences for your hearing.
What are the headphones
Headphones vary in several ways.
By type of construction
There are many models of this accessory, but there are only four types:
- Inserts (shells). Invested in the auricle. Foam nozzles are dressed on the body for convenience. The disadvantage of this type of accessory is that it does not fit snugly to the auricle, thereby creating inconvenience to the user. This type of headphone has poor sound insulation, so not only you, but others will listen to music.
- In-ear (vacuum) headphones. Unlike the previous type, they have soundproofing properties. They are placed directly in the auditory canal, which makes it possible to catch all vibrations as much as possible.
- On-ear headphones. Convenient in that they are superimposed on the auricle, while creating a high-quality sound. As for noise isolation, due to the loose fit of this accessory to the ear, it simply does not exist. They are also valued for portability, because many models can be folded and placed in a special bag.
- Full sized. They are of the highest quality, because of their size, good sound insulation is created. The speaker, having a size of more than 4 cm in diameter, transmits a deeper and more saturated sound. A full-sized accessory does not press on the auricle, thereby ensuring comfortable listening to music.
According to the design of the emitter
Sound quality directly depends on this parameter:
- Reinforcing type. Used only in expensive in-ear headphones. They have good performance and accurately convey all the nuances of sound, but are limited in reproducing low frequencies.
- Ortho and isodynamic type. Such accessories have two powerful magnets, between which there is a complex emitter from a special film with a coating, which gives the sound clarity and power.
- Electrostatic. The emitter in them is a thin membrane located between a pair of electrodes. This design is able to completely eliminate the distortion of sound, but to connect you will need a special docking station (a device with connectors for different electronics).
- Dynamic. The device is a membrane placed in the housing, to which a magnet and a coil are supplied. The electric field created in this way acts on the membrane and creates a sound. Due to its simplicity, such a device can be placed in a variety of headphones.
By the method of signal transmission
This factor affects the usability of the headphones.
A wired device has better sound quality than wireless devices. Connection is via a standard 3.5 mm mini-jack (newer models may also have a USB connector or 6.3 mm jack).
A wireless device only works when connected to a laptop or gadget via Bluetooth or wireless internet.
Depending on the tightness of the acoustics
This parameter affects whether the sound coming from your headphones will be heard by others:
- Open. The cups of such devices on the outside have perforations through which part of the sound goes out (and also external noise can penetrate the ears).
- Closed. The cups are not perforated, so the sound is completely directed into the owner’s ear, while the surrounding sounds are not heard. Such devices have good sound insulation.
Headphones will always be in demand. When buying, you should pay attention to the following characteristics: power, resistance, frequency range, sensitivity and distortion level. Having given preference to an expensive and high-quality accessory, you can enjoy its comfortable operation for a long time.