The appearance of image problems in modern TVs is nonsense. It seems that technology has stepped forward so far that the occurrence of image defects is simply impossible. However, no one is immune from banding - a dirty screen that appears, as a rule, due to factory defects or as a result of constant operation.
What is banding?
Banding is a television defect, also called a dirty screen. While watching TV, vertical stripes appear periodically or continuously. The image is darkened, has uneven borders - it becomes uncomfortable to watch, even unpleasant. The problem occurs for various reasons, including a malfunction of the TV receiver. Best defect is observed on a plain background, or a gradient image.
IMPORTANT! Banding is vertical stripes with various shades of colors.
A similar backlight problem (flashing appearing on LCD monitors) is often confused with color banding on a TV. Such a defect in the picture is determined by the quality of the incoming video signal.
The reasons for the appearance of banding on the TV
There are many reasons for a defect. Often, it arises due to the factory quality of parts, or due to the constant operation of the TV. Quite rarely, it is vertical stripes that are caused by external problems (antenna signal strength, etc.).
- Pressure inside the matrix. Different pressure over the entire TV screen gives a spread of highlighted areas. Most dies do not have external pressure because they are installed in a rugged housing. However, to one degree or another, another part may be placed on top - for example, a protective layer. It can be pressed in places to the circuit, thereby provoking the appearance of stripes.
- Not detected factory defect matrix. The most likely cause of vertical stripes, which occurs due to the irregular arrangement of LC cells throughout the area. This also includes the unevenness of the filters. The defect begins to appear with temperature deviations or vibrations.
- Interference with electronics. The dissimilarity of the channels affects the brightness of the pixels, hence the banding appears. Image defects occur depending on the accumulation of electromagnetic radiation or exposure to high temperatures. For example, with a long operation, the TV itself heats up.
- A backlight defect occurs when the matrix is stratified or the board is curved.
- Dust accumulation is a possible but unlikely option. Modern models are protected from external dust by a dense case. However, dust can penetrate between layers and accumulate along the edge.
These are the main causes of banding.
Advice! The defect is often factory, it is recommended to test the equipment when buying. It is not difficult to do this, TVs in all major stores work directly on the shelves.
How to get rid of banding
The main way to get rid, or rather temporary correction of the image - gamma correction of the picture. Bright colors will be better perceived and the resulting "dirt" is less visible.
Another way is only replacing the matrix in the service. It will not be possible to solve the problem on its own, because the defect appears due to internal parts. Quite an expensive pleasure, sometimes it’s easier to buy a new TV.