The stove from ancient times warmed a person’s home, but it could be the cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. It could have been poisoned if cracks and cracks formed between the bricks at the stove. Therefore, with the onset of the cold period, each owner must carefully check the operation of the furnace and its appearance. If cracks are found, an urgent need to be repaired.
How to cover cracks in a brick oven
Before you troubleshoot, you need to know the size of the damage:
- The top layer of the stucco mortar just cracked, a spider web of small cracks appeared. This only affects the appearance of the oven.
- A crack between bricks or cracked brick, but the stove does not smoke.
- A crack through which smoke and gas seeps, but it does not increase.
- A gap that increases every day and a lot of smoke comes out through it.
If in the first two cases it is easy to cope with the problem - it is enough to prepare a fresh mortar for plaster, then in the third case - with a steaming furnace, you need to carry out serious repair work. In the fourth case, consult a specialist.
The owner must choose what to use for putty cracks. There are several options:
- fireclay clay - environmentally friendly, moisture resistant and resistant to elevated temperatures;
- clay and sand - the mixture does not collapse when the temperature rises, there is no need to buy at the store, but to prepare it by ourselves;
- grout - can withstand very high temperatures, easy to prepare, but quite expensive;
- oven glue is a very heat-resistant and expensive material.
A mixture of clay and sand
The most inexpensive way to repair a furnace. Preparing a solution is also easy, you just need to know in what proportions to combine them. It is necessary:
- Soak clay in advance - pour 1 bucket of clay with 3 buckets of water for a day. The consistency of soft plasticine should be obtained.
- Dilute the resulting mass, even with water, to the consistency of sour cream. Stir and strain to obtain a homogeneous solution.
- Sift the sand, from small stones and debris.
- Add it to the clay solution, about 1: 1, until the desired composition is obtained.
There is interesting information about obtaining a quality composition.
REFERENCE! You can lower the shovel stalk into the mixture, if there is adhering clay on it, then you need to add sand. Only after seeing small clots of a solution of sand and clay on the handle can we start plastering the walls of the stove.
To improve thermal insulation, in rural areas, horse manure is added to the composition.
Oven glue is purchased at the store. It consists of chamotte clay and cement with high refractory properties. The package contains instructions for its use, which must be strictly followed during its preparation. The solution is plastic and easily fills the gap and crack that has formed.
Grout can be bought at the store, but it is expensive. The package has instructions for its use. The method of preparing the working solution is simple. It is enough to mix the powder with clean water at room temperature, a certain volume, to a homogeneous mass. After 15 minutes, the solution can be used. Grout consumption with a crack of 10 mm - 1.5 kg per m2.
The use of fireclay clay
Fireclay clay (kaolin) can be purchased in stores, it is cheaper than grout, but also can withstand high temperatures and is effective. Packed in bags on which there is a detailed briefing on the application. But to carry out work with her is not easy. Stages of preparation of the working mixture:
- Clay is gradually filled with water, mixed thoroughly and infused for about three days.
- After that, the mixture is mixed with sand and, if necessary, water. The working solution should be thick as sour cream.
In the store you can buy a composition with instant kneading, without insisting. The price of this mixture is higher. When preparing the solution, it is necessary to use PVA glue.
IMPORTANT! Chamotte clay is recommended to be used if the stove is laid out of chamotte brick and based on its solution, because there is the same percentage of expansion when heated. This provides a large fortress of the entire structure.
How to coat the oven
When repairing a furnace, there are some specifics. It’s better to do all the work in stages. Here are some suggestions:
- Remove all the plaster at the slot, expanding and deepening it, to 1 cm. This technique will increase the surface size for repairs that need to be filled with mortar, which will significantly improve the quality of its adhesion to the furnace wall.
- Coat all prepared areas with water or a primer. Then melt the oven, drying the entire surface well.
- While the stove cools down, the repair sites are smeared with a clay solution - a thin layer.
- For greater practicality, you should use burlap or reinforcing mesh, which is attached with self-tapping screws.
- The prepared working solution is applied in a small thickness, in two layers.
- The oven must not be used until the solution is completely dry.
The causes of cracks in the furnace
When masonry or plastering the furnace and its use, cracks and even cracks can form. There are several reasons for their formation:
- Poorly prepared solution.
- Improper finish.
- Uneven heating of the furnace.
- Incorrect use of it.
- Incorrect foundation construction.
Repair of furnaces is not a complicated process, but a responsible one. No matter which solution was selected. The main thing is to do everything slowly and carefully, then the oven will last a long time.